2.25kg leg of lamb, bone-in
Salt and pepper
2 T olive oil
1 bulb of garlic, whole, unpeeled and cut in half horizontally
1 onion, quartered
2-4 rosemary sprigs
750ml beef stock
500 ml water
Back to Latest
- Preheat oven to 170°C or 150°C (fan).
- Prepare the garlic, onion and rosemary place in a roasting dish, then place lamb leg on top.
- Sprinkle the lamb generously with salt and pepper and rub it in, then turn it over and repeat on the other side of the lamb.
- With the upper side of the lamb sitting on the vegetables (the meatier side), pour the beef stock and water around the lamb. Cover with foil (don't use a lid, you want a bit of liquid to steam out) and roast for 4 ½ hours.
- Remove the lamb from the oven, take the foil off and turn the lamb over. Check it to ensure the meat is tender (pry a bit off with a fork).
- Return the lamb, uncovered, to oven for a further 45 minutes or until well browned.
- Transfer the lamb to a serving platter and spoon over pan juices generously. Cover loosely with foil if not eating immediately.