Guest recipe by Emberz executive chef Simon Henry
2 ½ T sea salt
1 T coriander seeds
2 ½ t peppercorns
2 t smoked paprika
1 T fennel seeds
4 Blue Sky Butchery lamb striploin
10ml olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 c firmly packed fresh basil leaves
200ml extra virgin olive oil
20ml olive oil
4 anchovy fillets
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 T capers chopped
½ t ground cumin
1 t tahini
1 ½ t lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Back to Latest
- Place the basil leaves in a pot of boiling water and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove the basil leaves, drain well and allow to cool. Squeeze out the water with a tea towel, then place the basil leaves and the olive oil in a blender and puree for 2 minutes. Set aside for 2-3 hours then strain through muslin cloth or a fine sieve into a clean jar. Refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prick the eggplant all over with a fork. Rub with oil and place on a lightly oiled baking try. Place in the oven for 45 minutes turning the eggplant frequently during cooking. Remove from the oven, split the eggplant lengthwise and drain and cool in a colander. Peel the eggplant, discard the skin, and mash the eggplant pulp in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl mash the anchovy fillets, capers, and garlic and beat into the mashed eggplant. Stir in the cumin, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn down the oven to 180°C.
- Place all the spice mix ingredients together in a bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon. Rub the pieces of lamb all over with the spice mix.
- Heat an oven proof heave base frying pan over high heat and add a little oil to the pan. Season the lamb well with salt and pepper and place it in the pan until caramelized and golden. Turn the striploin and sear the other side for a further 2 minutes, add a knob of butter to the pan and baste continuously the striploin with the melted butter. Transfer the frying pan to the oven for 5-6 minutes, remove from the oven and frying pan and place on a warm plate cover with a tea towel and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the lamb striploins into 16 slices. Place one quarter of the eggplant caviar on each of the 4 warmed serving plate and arrange 4 slices of lamb on top. Pour over a little basil oil and pan juices and serve.