Guest recipe by Emberz executive chef Simon Henry
1kg Blue Sky Butchery lamb striploin
15ml olive oil
Salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1 t ground cumin seeds
1 T rosemary leaves, chopped
2 fresh bay leaves, bruised and torn
2 orange kumara (about 740gm)
2 bunches asparagus
250g cherry tomatoes, halved
200g baby rocket leaves
150g Danish feta
Mustard seed and honey dressing
1 T yellow mustard seeds
25ml white wine vinegar
1 ½ T honey
1 ½ T Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ t grated ginger
2 t lemon juice
100ml extra virgin olive oil
Back to Latest
- Trim off any excess fat or sinew from the striploins and season with salt and pepper. Combine the olive oil, cumin, lemon rind, garlic, rosemary and bay leaves in a dish, add the lamb and turn to coat in the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in the fridge for 2-4 hours.
- For the mustard seed and honey dressing, soak the mustard seeds in vinegar for 1 hour, then add 1½ tablespoons water and the remaining ingredients except the oil, and whisk to combine. Gradually add the olive oil and whisk until well combined, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the unpeeled kumara in salted water for 20-30 minutes or until tender, drain and cool. Remove skin from the kumara and cut into 2cm thick rounds. Heat 2 T of olive oil in a heavy based frying pan and cook the kumara rounds in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden, then drain on absorbent paper.
- Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until just tender, drain and plunge into iced water to refresh, and then drain again. Combine kumara, asparagus, tomatoes and rocket on a large platter and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a little olive oil in a heavy based frying pan and pan fry the lamb until caramelized and golden. Turn the striploin and sear the other side for a further 2 minutes, then add the butter to the pan and baste continuously the striploin with the melted butter.
- Transfer the frying pan to the oven for 5-6 minutes, remove, then place on a warm plate cover with a tea towel and let rest for 5 minutes. Carve into strips and place over the vegetables on the platter and scatter with the feta. Drizzle salad with dressing and serve.