Guest recipe by Emberz executive chef Simon Henry
1.2kg boneless Blue Sky Butchery lamb leg
2 preserved lemon wedges, flesh removes and rind cut into thin strips
12 small tomatoes
6 capsicums (red and yellow)
30ml olive oil
1 T capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1 T rosemary, finely chopped
¼ c rosemary sprigs
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped, plus an extra 12 unpeeled cloves
20 small chat potatoes, washed
3 bay leaves
400g green beans, trimmed
3 small eggplants, halved lengthways and sliced into 1cm thick strips
12 x small Swiss Brown mushrooms, wiped clean and stalks removed
Salt and pepper
250g of basil pesto, to serve
Back to Latest
- Place tomatoes in a roasting pan, coat with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast at 100°C for 40 minutes, then set aside.
- Turn oven up to 180°C and place capsicum in a roasting pan coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and roast for 40 minutes or until tender and skins are blistered. Cool slightly, peel skin, remove seeds and cut into 4cm wide strips.
- Combine preserved lemon rind, capers, chopped rosemary and minced garlic in a small bowl. Place boned lamb leg skin side down on a work surface and spread stuffing over. Roll lamb leg up and tie with kitchen string at 3cm interval, then place into a roasting pan with potatoes, extra unpeeled garlic cloves, extra sprigs of rosemary and bay leaves, season with salt and pepper. Roast lamb at 180°C for 1 hour for medium rare or until cooked to your liking. Remove from oven and cover with a clean tea towel and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the green beans in boiling salted water until tender, drain well, then refresh in iced water and drain well again.
- Brush eggplant and mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then char-grill or BBQ, in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until just tender.
- Place roasted capsicum and tomatoes, green beans, eggplant and mushrooms on a large platter, season to taste and drizzle with olive oil. Place lamb leg on a separate platter with the potatoes and garlic and serve lamb, vegetables and the pesto.